Dumai - Sumatra
Highlights - Ferry port to Malaysia and Singapore * Accommodation
Cities and towns in Sumatra
Dumai is a seaport town on the east coast of Sumatra opposite Melaka in Malaysia. This is one of the main entry points into Sumatra by boat. Dumai is very busy with most of the oil of Sumatra exiting from it's seaport.
Part of the Riau province, surrounded by jungle. The jungle here is home to rare animals like the Sumatran Tiger, Sumatran Rhinoceros, tapirs, bears and elephants as well as some tribes of animist and nomadic people. Some of these tribes are the Sakai, Kubu and Jambisal people.
The Riau Islands are off the coast of Dumai, with islands 3214. Over 700 are inhabitated and many of the islands are unnamed.
Getting to Dumai
Dumai's airport is called Pinang Kampai Airport and is located 15 minutes from the city centre.
Ferries can be caught from Dumai to Pulau Batam and Pulau Bintan and then on to Singapore or directly to Malacca in Malaysia. The ferry port is only 5 minutes away from the city centre. Dumai Express and Batam Jet both operate ferries out of Dumai.
Pelita Air have charter flights between Dumai and Pekanbaru. They also have helicopters for charter. www.pelita-air.com
Comfort Hotel Dumai is an international style hotel in the centre of Dumai. Room prices from 265,000Rp per night (US$25) including breakfast and complimentary welcome drink. www.comfortdumai.com
Last updated - 17th June 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide