Bargaining in Sumatra
If this is your first trip to an Asian country, you quickly need to get used to bargaining for items.
A lot of items are fixed like in restaurants and supermarkets but expect to have to bargain in most of places, markets, hotels, tour tickets.
In most of Asia some sort of bargaining occurs in everyday life. It's a cultural thing and involves a lot of banter between the buyer and seller. All is meant to be light hearted as well as some general gossip. It's more a interaction than trying to get the best price. Buyers and seller know what they are prepared to buy and sell for.
In Sumatra, as in a lot of Indonesia, commission based sales encourages everyman to try to sell you travel tickets, accommodation, motor bike hire, treks, cultural event tickets.
Last updated 20th July 2008
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide